Captain Jacob V. Abbisso has been boating and fishing the waters off Marblehead, MA since he was just three years old, and it’s safe to say saltwater runs in his veins. Jake prides himself not only on his ability to find and catch fish through instinct, science, and technology, but also on his ability to teach clients the knowledge he has acquired over the years.
Jake places a huge emphasis on fishing sustainably aboard his charters and supports good catch and release tactics. Fishing is hands down one of Jake’s largest passions, and there is nothing that brings him more joy than sharing it with others. Jake is the perfect guide for anglers of any experience level who want to hone their fishing skills sustainably, and in a fun, safe, learning environment.
Captain Jake’s Licensing and Credentials
Jake holds a United States Coast Guard and Department of Homeland Security “Operator of Un-inspected Passenger Vessel Captain’s License” with a “Near Coastal” endorsement. Jake also holds a TWIC Card, Adult and Pediatric CPR+AED+First Aid Certification, as well as both Massachusetts and federal saltwater charter fishing permits.
In plain English, Jake is licensed to safely operate a vessel of up to 100 tons and out to 100 nautical miles offshore with up to 6 paying passengers on board. And, he is credentialed to run saltwater fishing charters in MA, too.
Over the years, Jake has safely operated boats in even New England’s “saltiest” weather conditions. And, he has proven his ability to react well to emergencies that have arisen. All of this means that during your time on the water, you can rest assured that you’re in good hands!
Fun Facts about Captain Jake
- At age 12, Jake received his United States Power Squadron Safe Boating Certificate, which allowed him to recreationally operate boats unsupervised, even as a minor!
- Jake has a LOT of experience working with children! Since 2008, Jake has been twisting animal balloons as The Balloon Dude (formerly The Balloon Kid) and donating his proceeds to the Marblehead Animal Shelter. Jake has also worked as a teaching assistant and tutor for kids ages 5-13, and when he is not running private charters, Jake also works with The Ultimate Kids Fishing Charters, a summer fishing program here in Marblehead for kids age 8-16.
- Jake is multilingual! He is fluent in both English and Hebrew, he speaks intermediate-level Arabic and Spanish, and he is beginning to learn Tamazight, a language native to North Africa (and Morocco in particular).
- Jake founded Wesleyan University’s first and only Catch and Release Fishing Club
- At age 13 Jake became a third-degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do, and he has also practiced Krav Maga and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.